18 December 2017

Google is violating copyrights & doesn't care



Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law

As you are probably aware, I use an intro and outro song. A different song for each. I have had no problems with my intro songs, but I keep having issues with my outro track. I don’t monetize my videos, so it is more the principle of the thing than anything else.

Currently, I am using Kai Engel’s Chant of the Night Blades from his Deathless: The Renaissance album as my introduction. However, I’ve been through a sequence of closing tracks. The first was a track by Ordo Equitum Solis titled Father of Incantations. (link below). Since that is copyrighted music, I decided to replace it. This is when I went to the Free Music Archive. That is where I found by current Introductory track. I selected Ami Deng’s track A Strange Community from her album Hukam for my ending. After repeated copyright claims, some of which were released, others which were not, I decided it wasn’t worth the hassle. Despite it being available for my use due to my being in compliance with the license, every video was being claimed on upload and not always released.

So, I searched again. This time I found a track by Koesz. It is titled The Charon from his The Entity EP. I used it while I was in Japan with no problems. However, despite it being under the Creative Commons License and my using that license as instructed, it was flagged. It was identified as being Trilio’s Deadly Shadow. Evidently, it is a collaboration with Koesz and Koesz seems to use some of the same material (mainly the haunting female vocals that I isolated for my ending track). However, it is not the same song. I disputed the claim, pointing out that (a) it wasn’t the song it was being identified as, and (b) I’ve never even heard of Trilio. The appeal was rejected.

I’ve been quite careful to make sure I was in compliance with copyright law and I am still being penalized. Frankly, it pisses me off. It also means that Google is violating Copyright law. They are breaking the copyright license of the Creative Commons, and falsely awarding a claim to a company that doesn’t deserve it. In this case, Triple Vision Record Distribution.

So yeah, I am looking for another ending track. Google’s algorithm is broken and flags tracks as being the wrong item. Then, they facilitate copyright violation by not honoring the Creative Commons license and awarding credit for a work to the wrong people. There is nothing that can be done, since the companies have no incentive to fix a system that brings them in more money (no matter how minuscule). Google has no incentive to fix it because the companies are happy and they make their money. Sure, I am protected from a lawsuit, but this kind of soft, non-legal persecution has no protection (at least of which I am aware). I am just a small channel with 200 subscribers.

I have no problems with people getting credit and reward for their work. I have problems with false charges and mis-attributions. Hell, I encourage monetization of my music videos. I want the artists to earn money and continue to make music I like. However, this is just bs.

Enjoy the excerpt from The Charon, it will probably be the last time you hear it on my videos.

Truth is found in the Rubble of Falsehood
Love is the law, love under will

No comments: